Anyone who has invested in a sea-worthy craft should understand the importance of engine maintenance. Whether you are sporting a fishing boat or own an oversized yacht, engine maintenance is the key to enjoying the investment for the long-haul. The business who you entrust this task to should have equal experience in marine generator service. Only when the marine generator and diesel engine are in proper working order can you truly let yourself enjoy the niceties of the vessel while out on the open water.
The marine generator is relied on for the majority of these luxuries – including that always welcome reprieve in the air-conditioned cabin. Fortunately, there are some things that owners can do to keep the marine generator working as it should for longer. Though there is no replacement for a professional, factory-authorized marine diesel generator service, disciplined maintenance practices can reduce (or even completely eliminate) the potential need for emergency repairs.
Pre-Trip Care Tips
It’s best to begin your pre-trip routine long before embarking on the water. This way if you discover a significant issue, you can properly address it through an authorized service provider before it causes bigger issues or damage.
- Always check the oil levels and filters before embarking.
- Check for replacement service parts in case of an emergency (belt, zinc replacements, etc.)
- Check the battery charge is full the night before (and charge it then if necessary)
- Ventilate the area and wipe all exterior surfaces. Remove excess debris and rags.
- Hand checks all exhaust connections and hose fittings.
- Inspect electrical connections and tighten loose ones.
- Check the fluid levels and add any necessary fluids to the proper level.
- Run the generator and listen for odd noises while inspecting for leaks.
- Perform start and stop onboard operations to ensure everything runs correctly.
- Turn on the electrical loads and make sure the generator can handle the amperage its rated for.
Daily Care Tips
Make sure you perform these simple daily tasks routinely each time you use the craft. Neglecting these tasks will often result in much larger and often expensive marine generator repairs down the road.
- Clean out all water strainers daily. DO NOT WAIT FOR THEM TO CLOG.
- Inspect the fluid levels to ensure nothing is leaking or being burned faster than it should.
- Check the tension of the belt, the condition of the primary filter, and the coolant.
Owners should also visually inspect for loose items around the generator set to ensure nothing came off during the trip, is causing blockage, or can potentially damage hoses.
Marine Generator Service Provider
South Florida mariners in need of MTU, Westerbeke, Northern Lights, or Detroit Diesel marine generator service should only seek out a factory authorized dealer. These manufacturing brands each have specialized maintenance routines and repair protocols. Failing to follow these protocols often voids the warranty of the generator set and can lead to future, costly complications.
To find a marine generator service in Fort Lauderdale or the South Florida area, contact a marine generator specialist at RPM Diesel.
Marine Generator Service
1,935 total views, 3 views today